Ask the Experts: FMLA Child Bonding Leave

Ask the Experts: Translating Handbooks into Spanish
June 11, 2018
Tips for Preparing Form 5500
June 15, 2018

Question: When an employee requests child bonding leave for an adoption, what documentation can the employer require for verification?

Answer: Under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), employers may not request a certification for leave to bond with a healthy newborn child or a child placed for adoption or foster care. However, employers may request documentation to confirm the family relationship.

An employee may satisfy this requirement by providing either a simple statement asserting that the requisite family relationship exists, or other documentation such as a child’s birth certificate or a court document. It is the employee’s choice whether to provide a simple statement or other documentation.

Employers may not use a request for confirmation of a family relationship in a manner that interferes with an employee’s exercise or attempt to exercise his or her FMLA rights.

Get it All

ThinkHR Live advisors answer thousands of questions for our customers each year. Customers also have access to a searchable database of more than 1,000 of the most pertinent questions and answers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *